October 30-Second Drill

The 30-Second Drill is to provide a brief drill/discussion subject that can take no more than 30 seconds to read and reply to. A second purpose is to learn the differences and similarities of the answers across the viewing audience.

To participate answer the three questions based on your department. Include your department’s state (MD, PA, AZ) in your reply. Don’t reply to other reader’s comments; they will be removed. There will be a followup to each drill posted afterward where further discussion can be done.

sg 252
(FITHP photo)

stopwatch image“Alerted to a reported structure fire in a private dwelling, what do you consider to be the three most important subjects in your personal size-up?”

• Dave LeBlanc says:

Massachusetts

Type of Structure
    Time of Day
    Staffing/current response

• Stephen N. says:

Quebec Canada (Vol. Dept no hydrants)

Water supply location
    Time of day/Staffing availability
    Time of year (winter freeze)

• John H says:

Construction for the area ie lightweigth vs ballon
    Time of day
    Responding equipment

• Andrew R says:

Time of day,
    location in town (new subdivision or older section)
    Water sources, (hydrants or are we calling for tanker assistance)

• Jake says:

1. Size Up of Structure. Is it 2 stories, 12 stories, etc…
    2. Amount of Fire (If Any). This will help to put the incoming units “game face” on, as well as with our Auto-Aid.
    3. If everyone is out or not.

All these factors can be the difference in levels of alarms.

Illinois

• Andrew R says:

Sorry forgot to leave state, oops
    Kansas, paid department, mutual aided by volunteer department

• Mike says:

1. Life Safety…is everybody out.
    2. Type of structure and location.
    3. Staffing.

WI, Combination department

• Eric says:

1. Location of hydrant(s)
    2. Size and type of structure
    3. Fire location; to include reading smoke conditions (color, turbulent/laminar flow)

Missouri

• Brad says:

Type and size of structure, size of fire
    Time of day
    How many personal are responding, own and mutal aid

Ohio, Combination dept

Water supply

Who is my back up

Lower Frederick Volunteer Fire Company

Spring Mount PA

• Gillian Cox says:

Texas

Time of day (Expected Response & Traffic)
    Report of Occupancy
    Weather/Exposures

I know the last seems wierd but we live in a VERY dry & wind prone area on the coast and we can often upgrade alarms prior to arival based on report of fire and wind conditions we anticipate fire spread to brush or addl structures.

• Clint says:

1. Water supply
    2. Smoke(Color, vol., speed, amount) vs. fire(amount)
    3. Occupancy (cars in the drive/kids toys in the yard day time vs. night time.)

Clint
    Forest City, NC

• cbk says:

smoke paths / fire location
    construction (lightweight vs stick)
    apparatus and personnel response

Ohio / Career

“To provide a point of critical thought about certain acts and events in the fire service while incorporating behavioral education and commentary in a referenced format.”

Comments
william Schnaekel
Holding 1&1: First Due Engine Officer Discussion
Erik, first off, I apologize for the delayed response. I'll keep this short and simple. I think I would have done the same thing as you. I'm not much for what some would consider calling a transitional attack, but in this case, certainly it seems to apply. Call it what you will, if the first…
2015-08-23 13:23:30
william Schnaekel
On The Job
Thank you, L. Brown and welcome to the greatest job on earth. :)
2015-08-23 13:10:47
David Delauter
Death During Search, 2010 to Present Part I
Great article. I am looking forward to the rest of the series. I am going to share this with my wife. I predominantly run EMS, but, have fire training as well. Age gets upset with me when I am on the fire side because she is terrified something is going to happen to me. Any…
2015-08-19 20:35:28
Jon Alberghini, Retired Chief KFD
“Fiyah” Thoughts from District Chief Pettaway
"Know your District". I learned that from Retired Chief Dan Martell, Boston FD in 1974. Always praticed and preached it. Glad to see you are preaching that today. I hope the choir is listening.!
2015-08-03 01:23:25
Joe canavan
“Fiyah” Thoughts from District Chief Pettaway
Just made lieutenant, that's the first fire video I stayed awake for. Keep them coming. I can use all the help I can get!
2015-07-30 23:52:11